Sunday, April 15, 2012

And then there were.... less than 20!

I have been working towards accumulating enough good work to debut a print-on-demand site for prints of my paintings, and thought I had reached at least two dozen paintings that I could proudly stand behind as being representative of my talent - such as it is - as a painter.

But then I suddenly did something much better than the work that had come before. The thing about breakthroughs is that suddenly you're standing at the top of a ladder, poking your head through the roof. You've got to find a way to drag your whole self and everything you've learned up on the roof. And in doing so, you end up leaving a lot of your earlier work behind. Not because you don't like it, but because you're done learning from it. It's no longer up to the level you now know you're capable of achieving. Your mythical list of two dozen paintings now stands at.... one. And that creates a paradox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave thoughts or comments for the author